Nov 18, 2003

From the Seattle Post-Intelligencer


Microsoft fires worker over weblog Many people post work-related entries on personal blogs, but they don't expect to be terminated.

So, Michael Hanson has become a bit of a folk hero (to me and I’m sure many other bloggers). The guy made an innocuous posting which some suit saw and took exception to.

This is akin to killing a fly with an a-bomb.

Of course, in the unforgiving world of corporate politics where ethics are rarely heard of, just sitting down with someone and telling them they’ve transgressed and giving them a warning isn’t a possibility.

No, it’s off with their head!

Now, if you’re VP level or above, they probably do just that (sit you down and ask you to watch yourself in the future) but, worker bees don’t get that kind of consideration (especially not temp worker bees).

Just another thing that let’s you know the American worker is taking it on the chin.

I can’t speak to the whole thing as eloquently as the man himself could so, click on the links, read the article and read the man’s blog.

The day started like any other day; get up, dink around for a bit, bus into work, and start working through the stack of jobs. Just shy of an hour after I got in, my manager came in and asked me to step into his office when I had a chance. Sure, no biggie, and I headed over as soon as I finished the job I was setting up.

"Okay, here's the first question. Is this page," and here he turned his monitor towards me, letting me see my "Even Microsoft wants G5s" post from last Thursday, "hosted on any Microsoft computer? Or is it on your own?"

No comments: